Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Long way home?



My last post to this blog was back in August. Back then, I've just discovered node.js and decided to dive into it.

I enjoyed the trip down that road--I now have a web application deployed on heroku and appfog written in node.js and coffeescript. I dabbled into the different javascript libraries (dojo, backbone, knockout, etc) and found myself at home in jquery.

A few weeks ago, I found myself feeling burned out with web development. I took a few days off and by the time I got back, I had an itch to continue learning about backend development.

I used to dread learning javascript. It had too many curly braces, semi-colons and all that--not like ruby. But I dove right in and learned the basics. Because of this, I had the courage to look into learning C++.

After a couple of weeks, I gave up on it. I did not like it. It's like going back to catholic school where all your teachers are old nuns and priests. They have too many rules and preach nothing but dogma and religion.

Ruby, it's like homeschooling. I don't have to get up early, no school uniforms, and best of all, it's fun!

Ruby might not be as mature as the other programming languages out there, but I am sure that I will know what I need to know, when I need to know it.

No comments:

Post a Comment